Attending the X Games is not as easy as it might seem. The word “free” tends to act like a giant human-magnet, and the crowds can be difficult to navigate. To make the most of your X Games esperience, proper planning is crucial.
- Take public transportation, even if that means driving to a BART or MUNI station. Do not drive into San Francisco unless you enjoy sitting in traffic and driving in circles. Parking in the city is difficult on even the slowest of days. The brand new MUNI E-line will go right through the X Games site.
- Dress for a full day out. Check the weather forecast, then prepare for both hot and cold weather. A windbreaker is perfect for that cold Embarcadero breeze, even when it’s sunny. And don’t forget your hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Determine the events you want to watch (see the schedule on the eHow X Games page), then get there early. Figure out what is taking place when, but realize that schedules tend to change. Aim to find seating an hour early (if you actually want to SEE the event, that is).
- Make a full day of it. Besides the actual X Games, the X Games Village – located right across the street (from Piers 30 and 32) in a big parking lot – will have tons of booths, vendors, activities and live bands. Be sure not to miss eHow’s booth. Stop in and say hi to the crew.
- Bring your favorite Xtreme sports equipment with you. The X Games Village will have a full-on fun park with ramps, bumps and jumps for skaters, in-liners and bikers. (Pads are required, so bring your own or share some sweat on a loaner pair.) You’ll also find a fun climbing wall and a 50-foot slide.
- Take a break. Don’t get X-ed out too fast. Take a nice walk along the Embarcadero or into downtown San Francisco. Grab a bite to eat, stretch out, close your eyes – whatever it takes. You’ll feel a whole lot better when you return to the masses of humanity milling among the Xtremes.
- Get out of town for a real X Games adventure: skysurfing. You’ll have to head up to Roche Winery in Sonoma, but the action and surroundings are worth the drive.
Note: Instructions posted by eHow contributor as seen here: How to Attend the X Games | eHow.com
See all the best action shots from the Winter X 15 weekend, submitted for your viewing pleasure.